Monday, November 18, 2013

Patterns, processes, and a PhD

Written by spockette
I am an autistic adult woman. I see patterns, hear music perfectly in my head, and notice things others don’t. I commune with cats, and am intensely loyal to those I grow to trust.


I almost did not graduate from high school, and there were not high hopes for my success. My parents believed in me, though. Because of their support, and the willingness of others to accept me for who I am, I have made it to where I am today. I’m nearly 30 and am pursuing a PhD in a field which suits my natural talents. I still have trouble turning in assignments. I think part of this is because I don’t know where to start.
I am curious, and love learning and ideas. I’m not afraid to try learning new things—it took me a while to figure it out, but I now use my love of learning to expose myself to new people. Intramural clubs have provided me a place where there are lots of other really awkward people who are also new to learning something.


I took down a blog several years ago because I was not comfortable, and attacked by people who didn’t understand. I’m still here, and I’ve grown. If you have an autistic child, or know someone on spectrum, celebrate the way they grow with them, please. It’s unique and beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I am 50 years old, and even 10 years ago autism was still being equated to mental retardation. I have been considering going for my PhD but have not really found the program for me...I am just now returning to see what being autistic in today's society means, and completing my Master's degree 20 years after diagnosis and floating around out here by myself all this time due to how society treated mental misfits. I am finally getting to live free from the constraints of others' perceptions, and am reassessing my place in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs have been proven to be a positive feature for children with autism and their family. These well-trained dogs can provide relieve as well as calm children who suffer. An Autism Assistance Dog or Autism Service Dog can change the lives of a family you just have to visit houlton institute

    ReplyDelete