Monday, November 18, 2013

What is Autism? (Iris Gray)

Written by Iris Gray

Originally posted at Purple Aspie

What is autism? That’s a good question. There’s no real answer to it, because autism is different things to different people. To some, autism is a curse that must be eradicated. To others, it’s a variation in human evolution.
I can speak only for myself and what autism is to me.
Autism is a part of me. It is a part of me that most of the time is neither good nor bad but is simply there. I have blue eyes, I have blonde hair, and I am autistic. That’s just the way things are. As Lady Gaga would say, I was born this way.
There are times when autism can be annoying or frustrating. These are usually times when my sensory issues or social skills deficits get in the way of my doing something that I want to do. That doesn’t mean that autism is bad. It’s just that being autistic can be more challenging than being neurotypical.
There are times when autism can be rewarding and fulfilling. When I attend autism conferences and spend time with other neurodiverse people, I have an amazing time and come away enriched. When I can figure out a problem by thinking differently, I’m thrilled. When my sensitive hearing enables me to hear something that others have trouble with, it’s like I’m rewarded for being autistic.
What is autism? Autism is my friends. Autism is my community.
Autism is me.

1 comment:

  1. Dogs have been proven to be a positive feature for children with autism and their family. These well-trained dogs can provide relieve as well as calm children who suffer. An Autism Assistance Dog or Autism Service Dog can change the lives of a family you just have to visit houlton institute

    ReplyDelete