Monday, November 18, 2013

This is Autism (written by JAY) Autism Flash Blog

Written by Jay and Submitted by Mama's Turn Now (his mom)

maman and her 7th graderI am a bit late to the party but you know, that is how we roll around here. Anyway it seems today is Autism Flash Blog day Click HERE to read about it. So I decided to give my boy the chance to be a part… if he wanted to of course. The following is the conversation I had with my brilliant sweet son.
Me: Hey Jay remember last week and that horrible letter I was reading and then the great conversation we had?
Jay: (kind of sad like) Yes, what about it.
Me: Well there is this thing going on now, called  a flashblog, where people are coming together and saying what Autism is really to them. Want to join in on the fun.
Jay: Ok but what should I say?
Me: Whatever you want.
Jay: I don’t know where to begin.
Me: Hmmm, what if we started with what you would say to Mrs. Wright.
Jay: I would tell her she should be careful what she writes because Autism doesn’t mean you are dumb, it just means you think differently. Albert Einstein had Autism so BAM! In your face!
(Laughter from us both)
Me: What about how she said that folks with autism were burdens. What would you say to that?
Jay: I’m only a burden to those who choose to not be lifted up by me.
Me: Wow that is beautiful. Did you hear that somewhere?
Jay: Nope I just made it up.
Me: What exactly does it mean to you?
Jay: If you treat me like a burden than of course I will be one! Kind of philosophical huh?
Me: Very! Anything else you would like to add?
Me: Yeah can you wrap this up so you can start dinner?
And there you have it! THIS IS AUTISM! If you treat someone like they are burden then of course they will be one! Yeah my kid is pretty damn awesome. Now if you excuse me I need to go make dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment