Monday, November 18, 2013

This is my autism (Joanna McKnight)

Written by Joanna McKnight, United Kingdom

This is my autism:

I am an awesome primary school teacher, the kids love me, I love them, the kids learn, I learn, the kids build their self esteem, they question and problem solve and invite me to do the same with them, alongside them.

My autism is misunderstood and viewed as a 'problem' by other staff members, my peer group of staff feel threatened by my differences, I do not get the help I need to thrive despite my differences in the workplace.

The NT world misses out on my talents at teaching and inspiring kids, they reject them in favour of 'normal'. The kids miss out on understanding and appreciating and embracing different. I strive for my place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment