Monday, November 18, 2013

I am different, I am me.

Written by Perla Messina

Autism is my ability to see things from a different point of view, to grasp what others miss, find solutions where they see problems. Autism is my need for perfection, and my power to strive and achieve it in everything I do. Autism is my inner force, that keeps me wondering, and keeps me learning. Autism is my loneliness, my need for silence, for peace and introversion. Autism is my senses detecting every detail -missing nothing- of the world that surrounds me. Autism is my mind of a thousand colours and shapes, of endless possibilities and parameters, of vivid memories. Autism is who I am. The goods and the bads, the hardships and the achievements, the joy and the sadness. It is my talents and my difficulties. But it is me, not someone else. It is my logic and my sarcastic humor, it is my perseverance and my disappointments. I can’t imagine being like everyone else, I do not want to be like everyone else.

I am different, I am me.

Perla Messina
Chairperson
Greek Association of Autistic Asperger and HFA Adults
Athens, Greece 16/11/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment