Monday, November 18, 2013

Written by Jennifer Simons

When my baby was 4 months old a yoga instructor told me he was a crystal child - that he was special and I needed to take tender care with him because he would be very sensitive to our world.  She was right.  He's 5 now and every morning when he gets to kindergarten he gives the neuro-typical kids hugs - one of them told the teacher that he is their best friend because all he really needs at school is that hug each morning.  This is autism.  My son is me -only magnified... and when things are hard for him it is my challenge and privilege to be his super detective and problem solve until we can make it easier together.  Like any family our days are punctuated by laughter and tears, challenges and triumphs, deep breaths and long sighs and our family is stronger and closer because of autism, because it is part of all of us through him.  Our family is learning and growing and having so much joy.  Not a day goes by that someone doesn't utter the words "he is amazing".  They are right.  This is autism.  The yoga instructor told me that I was a very lucky mother.  She couldn't have been more right.

No comments:

Post a Comment